Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Struggle and Redetermination - Amanda

So it's my turn to post! You will learn that I have a lot to say, even when I don't think I do. So I apologize in advance for this.

My weight battle has been an ongoing issue my entire life. In high school, I was actually very healthy, but I remember always feeling fat and trying the latest fads to lose weight (even when I had nothing to lose.) After high school, I played the yoyo game with my weight reaching over 200 pounds my sophomore year to only lose 30 to gain it back. In the fall of 2005, I began my battle of overcoming my weight and joined weight watchers (after I got engaged.) I was down to a healthy 150 pounds, only to put back on about 25 pounds 5 months later - right before my wedding day.

I became pregnant in the fall of 2006, and my diet mainly consisted of chocolate milkshakes and anything else I could possibly see. The whole time I was pregnant I continued to tell myself that I would get in shape right after the baby was born. Reality hit me again Thanksgiving in 2007, when I couldn't believe what I looked like in the pictures. It didn't even look like me. My baby was almost 6 months old, and not only did I not get in shape like I promised myself, I gained more weight.

It wasn't until a trip to Vegas in February of 2008, when I saw Lynne again, that my motivation was rekindled. I was absolutely amazed at what she had done and she looked good, really good. I saw how happy she was and I craved that again. She once again introduced me to Weight Watchers which I began when I got home. I lost 25 pounds for 2008. I quit Weight Watchers in June, thinking I could do it on my own. I did keep the weight off for 2008, but I never lost any more. So it's time to end this battle once and for all. 2009 is the year of great results! I can feel it in my bones (and fat)!

My motivation has never been higher in life. Since January 1st, I have already lost 10 lbs. About a week ago, I decided that I wanted to train for a half-marathon that would be hosted in my hometown in April. Some of my friends were very supportive at this idea. Some of my family laughed. (I know they want me to succeed and support me) but nevertheless they laughed. SO I'M ALL IN! I finished day 2 of my training yesterday - and I have successfully ran 6 miles this week, without stopping or walking, trimming 4 minutes off of my time from the first run to the second. I know that this journey will only continue to get harder, but like I said before, my motivation has never been higher than it is now.

I know that with this dedication, I will once and for all beat this weight loss battle. I will know the skills to keep me healthy from here on out. As the rest of the girls, I am a very busy person: working a full time job, creating and running a photography business, attending online school, raising a family - and like Erin, I have decided to put myself, my health first. I know once it's in check, I will have the energy and endurance to handle the rest of my crazy schedule. So here's to the new year and new life!


I don't have any official full body shots to show my progress, but these will at least give you an idea of where I am.

The first one is Thanksgiving 2007. The second one is this past January 2009.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Amanda! My thoughts are with you along the journey...I'll continue to check in and see where you're at with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing! I'm so proud of your commitment to run a half-marathon and wish I could be there to cheer you on the day of! You continue to inspire me every time I talk to you, and I know that if you can do this (with a full-time job, a photography business, a husband, a daughter, a house, a million responsibilities!), I can do this too!

    ReplyDelete